Sunday, September 16, 2007

Siem Reap

Yesterday I took a bus to Siem Reap. I arrived at about 3pm at the bustation and was welcomed by a big group of shouting and touting men, trying to get me to come to their guesthouse. It reminded me a bit of Jaisalmer in India. I decided to go with a tuktukdriver who said he was rom the buscompany and would give me a free ride to my choice of guesthouse anywhere in town. Of course after I settled into the tuktuk, he said the ride was only free if I would promise to use his services as a tuktukdriver the next day to visit the temples of Angkor Wat. Since I was planning to go by bicycle I didn't need his services, so he said he would take me to my guesthouse for 1$, which was fine or me. But suddenly he couldn't bring me anymore, his friend would bring me. After driving about 2km, the tuktuk driver stopped and said that that was only as far as he would go for 1$ and that my guesthouse was at least 5 km further. If I still wanted to go to my guesthouse I had to pay 2$. I told him that I wasn't going to pay more, because he knew very well where my guesthouse was when we agreed on the price. So he said that I should pay 1.5$. I said he should drive on, thinking that I wasn't going to pay him more than 1$ anyway. After 500m he drove into a small dust road and stopped. He talked to some people and I assumed he wanted to say something to a friend before resuming the journey, but he said we were there and that my guesthouse was around the corner. I was a bit suspicious,'cause a minute ago he was telling me that my guesthouse was still 5km away, but decided to follow him and indeed he was right, there it was, my guesthouse. I gave him a dollar bill and when he asked for half a dollar more, I shaked my head and laughed very loud. It seems wherever you go tuktukdrivers are never to be trusted :-))

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home