Saturday, September 29, 2007

Back in Nongkhai



As soon as my computer was fixed I took the night train to Nongkhai. Surprisingly the train arrived with a delay of only 5 minutes (usually there's a delay of 2 or 3 hours), so I was at the Mut Mee Guesthouse at 9.30am. It is nice being back here, as it feels a bit like home. My old room was already taken but I got another one that is even better...
I'll be staying here untill a few days before the end of my trip (6 nov), so I can work a little bit, make some stock illustrations and make a new portfolio. And I'll be able to keep on doing my yoga practise and go to the free meditation sessions.
For me Nongkhai is probably the best place to stay for a longer period of time. It is a very relaxed place, the locals are friendly and there are not too many tourists, but enough to have a nice conversation once in a while. There are also a few foreigners staying here longterm. There's a nice market and there's an interesting Buddhist sculpture parc. And of course it's on the banks of the mighty Mekong...

Zodra mijn computer gemaakt was, heb ik de nachttrein naar Nongkhai genomen. De trein kwam verrassend genoeg aan met maar 5 minuten vertraging (meestal is 't 2 of 3uur vertraging), en dus was ik om half 10 in de Mut Mee Guesthouse. 't Is leuk om terug hier te zijn want 't voelt toch een beetje als thuis aan. Mijn oude kamer was wel al bezet, maar de kamer die ik nu heb is nog beter...
Ik zal hier tot een paar dagen voor 't einde van mijn reis blijven (6 nov) , zodat ik een beetje kan werken aan stock illustraties en aan een nieuwe portfolio. En ik kan hier ook mijn yoga blijven doen en naar gratis mediatie sessies gaan.
Nongkhai is voor mij de ideale plek om iets langer te blijven. 't Is een heel relaxte plaats met vriendelijke locals en er zijn niet te veel toeristen, maar toch genoeg om af en toe een interessant gesprek mee te voeren. En er zijn ook een aantal buitenlanders die hier langdurig blijven. Er is een leuke markt en een interessant buddhistisch beeldenpark. En 't ligt natuurlijk op de oevers van de Mekong...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home