Sunday, July 22, 2007

the last day in ... Indonesia

Yesterday I decided that there really is no reason to hang around in Solo any longer, so I tried to change my flight to Kuala Lumpur, hoping I would be able to leave earlier, if possible today. Of course this was a bit too optimistic, but I was able to change my flight so I can leave tomorrow morning. By lunch tomorrow I will be in Malaysia. I'm happy that I was able to change the flight cause I really feel like I'm already too long in Solo. Solo is a place where you can stay for 2 nights, but not a whole week, it simply is not that interesting.
So maybe this is a good time to reflect on my stay in Indonesia. I've been here for 6 weeks now, 3 in Bali and 3 in Java. I do have some mixed feelings about it. The country is beautiful without a doubt, the pictures proove that. But I have the feeling that you would be able to enjoy the country much more if you're able to travel with a bigger budget. Taking public transport has been a big hassle, especially in Bali, where the bemo drivers try to rip you off every time again and again with prices that are 10 times as high as they should be. And you always have to take several bemos to reach your destination even if you're not going that far. In Java transport was a lot easier and cheaper and the prices were correct, except on the bus to Borobodur. But what I missed most here in Indonesia was other solo low-budget backpackers. I can count the ones I met on one hand.
People think I don't like touristy places, but that's actually wrong. I do like them, and I definitely like to have the tourist infrastructure, cause it means that there are good restaurants and places to relax. But I don't like touristy places that are only meant for big-budget or package tourism people. Because when you talk to those people they are on a different wavelength, they haven't got a clue what low-budget means (for example my budget is about 15 euro/day) and for them everything here is cheap. And it seems that most of the tourists in Indonesia are that kind of tourists... So I'm happy to go to Malaysia, cause I hope to find some more people there that are on my wavelength, and if not, Thailand is not that far away...

Nederlandse versie komt nog...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hela,
ik weet wat je bedoelt met low-budget-reizen!! Niet altijd makkelijk, maar toch de moeite waard :)
Hopelijk vind je in Maleisie weer wat meer mensen die bij jou passen!!
veel plezier
groetjes

July 23, 2007 at 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home